Our wine list is hand picked to complement our rustic cuisine, so as well as some familiar faces from the new and old world we have tried to pick some more unusual examples of top quality rustic European wines, such as the Portuguese “Esporao Reserva” and the Sicilian single vineyard “Nero d’Avola”, as well as the “Croix Chaptal” from the south west of France.
If you are considering booking a large party and would like to choose your wine in advance, then this is an ideal opportunity to make sure we have enough to cover your requirements.
House Reds & Rosé
- 2006 Nero d’Avola, Villa Tonion, Sicily, Italy
Dark cherry and plum fruit with sweetness and softness of oak overtones, velvety texture and spicy, lasting finish.
£3.65 – 175ml | £14.95 – Bottle
- 2005 Proteus, Domaine du Poujol, Languedoc, France
Attractive, interesting and full fruited blend of Merlot and Carignan, brimming with juicy, red berry fruits, toasty spice and supple tannins.
£4.00 – 175ml | £15.95 – Bottle
- 2006 Rose, Domaine du Poujol, Languedoc, France
Strikingly scented rose with red berry fruit – vibrant and juicy with a clean, fresh acidity and a hint of cherries on the finish.
£4.20 – 175ml | £16.95 – Bottle
- 2007 Fleurie, Dominique Morel, Burgundy, France
A deliciously fruity and smooth cherry scented red from one of the top villages and a very good producer.
- 2004 Rioja Crianza , Vina Izadi, Rioja, Spain
Impressive Crianza with classic vanilla oak perfumes nicely integrated with juicy black fruit and fine savoury tannins.
- 2006 Crozes Hermitage Rouge Les Jalets, Paul Jaboulet Aîne, Northern Rhone, France
Fresh and aromatic with tart red berries and a hint of spice, young and vibrant on the palate with rich, ripe red fruits and liquorice finish.
- 2006 Côtes du Rhône Rouge Parallèle 45, Paul Jaboulet Aine, Southern Rhone, France
Spicy and full with open red fruits and herby nose, the palate bursting with fruit, a perfect balance of ripe, juicy fruit and rounded tannins.
- 2005 Cabernet – Syrah, IGT Maremma, Fortegia, Tuscany, Italy
A heavenly blend of Cab Franc, cab sauvignon & Syrah – intense and spicy, full of black fruits, liquorice and leather. Supple tannins, ripe fruit and a long spicy finish.
- 2007 Pinotage, Fairview, Paarl, South Africa
Ripe, spicy nose with perfumes of dark fruit, the palate is full-bodied and savoury with brambly fruit giving concentration and structure.
- 2006 Mestizaje, Bodegas Mustiguillo, Utiel Requena, Spain
Intensely perfumed with dense fruit and a hint of oak, powerful and concentrated with robust, spicy tannins. The chunky, fleshy Bobal is given finesse by the Tempranillo and Cabernet blend.
- 2006 Brouilly, Château de Pierreux, Burgundy, France
A lovely fruity wine with a definite old world style and elegance, strawberries, cherries and all the floral charm which is typical of this village.
- 2007 ‘Jester’ McLaren Vale Cabernet Sauvignon, Mitolo, South Australia, Australia
Lifted peppery spice leads into an herbaceous mix of blackberries, currants and cloves. The partial Amarone method produces hints of liquorice and a delicious richness.
- 2005 Chianti Classico, Tenuta Fontodi, Tuscany, Italy
A great Tuscan red, silky smooth and elegant with great depth of flavour and finesse – spicy forest fruits and a hint of oak.
- 2005 Mademoiselle L, Haut Medoc, Château La Lagune, Bordeaux, France
Approachable and attractive red made from young vines giving a forward, earlier drinking style – still showing deep cassis fruit and smoky tannic structure of the Haut-Medoc.
- 2006 Sonoma County Zinfandel, Seghesio, Sonoma Valley, USA
Cracked black pepper and spicy bramble fruit give way to fine, ripe tannins and pure cherry fruit.
- 2004 ‘Château Haut-Beausejour, Bordeaux, St. Estèphe, France Peppery nose with ripe blackcurrant and raspberry fruits, classic merlot dominated St Estephe palate, well rounded and full. Supple, firm tannins and a long balanced finish.
- 2006 Central Otago Pinot Noir, Wild Earth, Central Otago, New Zealand
Stunning award winning red brimming with dark blackcurrant, spice, smoky plum and gamey Aromatics – elegant and rich with brooding flavours and a long finish.
- 2006 Adelaide Hills Shiraz , Shaw and Smith, South Australia, Australia
Dark and intense with cool climate elegance; vibrant and spicy nose giving way to a concentrated full fruited palate, restrained oak and tightly knit tannins.
- 2005 ‘Gisep’ Barbera d’Alba, Massolino, Piemonte, Italy
One of the best Barberas from this area of Italy. Made in tiny quantities from selected grapes, aged in oak for 6 months giving smoky complexity to the supple fruit and ripe plumy character.
- 2005 Savigny Les Beaune, Domaine Mongeard-Mugneret, Burgundy, France
Classic Savigny showing the true seductive character of Burgundy, beautifully aromatic with lovely, firm structure and a deceptive depth on the palate.
- 2007 Grillo, Villa Tonino, Sicily, Italy
Fresh white with great clarity of fruits and distinctly Sicilian character – white peaches and apricots are balanced by crisp acidity.
£3.65 – 175ml | £14.95 – Bottle
- 2007 Sauvignon Blanc, Vin de Pays, Vignerons de Valencay, Loire Valley, France
Dry yet highly quaffable sauvignon with lovely aromatics, a fresh nettley fragrance and crisp acidity on the finish.
£3.85 – 175ml | £15.50 – Bottle
- 2005 Chablis, Domaine Corinne Perchaud, Burgundy, France
Pure, straightforward unoaked Chablis cuvee, showing crisp elegance with good fruit and a minerally finish.
- 2007 Soave Classico, Leonildo Pieropan, Veneto, Italy
A very good Soave from one of Italy’s best – lovely rich fruit with a hint of almonds.
- 2007 Muscadet Sur Lie, Côtes de Grandlieu , Domiane les Hautes Noelles, Loire Valley, France
Clean, fresh nose with white peaches, grapefruit and zesty minerality – the palate has a depth and ripeness lacking in many Muscadet, counter balanced by a lemony, slightly spritzy freshness on the finish.
- 2007 ‘Famiglia Bianchi’ Chardonnay, Valentin Bianchi, Mendoza, Argentina
Spiced apples and tropical fruit mingle well with a delicate toasty, buttery character given by very clever use of French oak barriques. Clean and nicely textured with a fresh, balanced finish.
- 2007 Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, Tinpot Hut, Marlborough, New Zealand
Vibrant and fresh with a lovely depth and intensity balanced by an attractive mineral character and a rich fruit character.
- 2006 Bourgogne Chardonnay, Jean-Claude Boisset, Burgundy, France
A rich and well balanced Burgundy from an excellent producer, showing Chardonnay at its most elegant and soft yet vibrant.
- 2007 Albariño Martín Códax, Martin Codax, Rias Baixas, Spain
Intense, aromatic and elegant white from the cool hills of north eastern Spain. Fresh herbs, green apples, lemon and grapefruit characters all beautifully lifted by keen acidity.
- 2007 Viognier, Fairview, Paarl, South Africa
Delicious perfumes of spice, tropical fruits and white flowers, the palate is fresh and lively balanced with gentle oak aging and fragrant fruit.
- 2007 Gavi di Gavi ‘Vigneti Lugarara’, la Giustiniana, Piemonte, Italy
Fresh and clean with classic Gavi perfumes of stone fruits, mineral and citrus give way to beautiful concentration on the palate with richness and crisp acidity.
- 2006 Pinot Grigio ‘Ramato’, Azienda Agricola Specogna, Friuli, Italy
When allowed to fully ripen, pinot grigio grapes are a soft red colour, combine this with Specogna’s passion for maceration and his aversion to fining and the result is a stunning ‘Ramato’ Pinot Grigio and one of the few remaining wines produced in this way. Beautiful purity of fruit and richness of flavour.
- 2007 Pinot Gris ‘Tradition’, Domaine Pfister, Alsace, France
Youthful and perfumed with quince and wood smoke – lovely expression of pinot gris with structure, peachy texture and a clean, fresh finish.
- 2007 Margaret River ‘Mangan Vineyard’ Sauvignon/Semillon, Cullen, Western Australia, Australia
Simply a work of art from Cullen. Waxy lemon perfume from the Semillon giving way to a rich, slightly spiced palate with fresh lemon rind and a touch of gunflint on the palate. Fresh acidity from the zesty Sauvignon Blanc lifts the finish.
- 2005 ‘Les Fourneaux’ Chablis 1er Cru, Domaine Corinne Perchaud, Burgundy, France
Single vineyard Chablis, a 3rd of the crop is vinified in large oak fûts adding seasoning and a creamy complexity to the restrained white flower and citrus character. Long on the finish, rounded off by a stunning mineral quality.
- 2006 ‘La Rocca’ Soave Classico, Leonildo Pieropan, Veneto, Italy Simply put, the best Soave there is. This is a single vineyard wine made solely from the Garganega grape, from old vines, handpicked and fermented in oak casks to produce a rich, spicy, long and complex wine. One of the best wines in Italy and on the list, not to be missed!
- 2007 ‘Cordon Cut’ Clare Valley Riesling, Mount Horrocks, South Australia
This unique and risky process of pruning gives an intense flavour and richness, ripe lemon, wildflowers and honey kept in check by a backbone of lively acidity – wonderfully clean, precise and complete.
£4.50 per 50cl glass
Champagne & Sparkling Wines
- 2003 – Rory Brut, Kim Crawford, Marlborough, New Zealand
Champagne method sparkler with a toasty, biscuity perfume with hints of lime. Excellent depth of crisp fruit on the palate with fine bubbles and delicate yeasty character.
- NV – Cuvée Spéciale Brut, Edouard Brun, Champagne, France
Partial fermentation in old oak barrels gives interest, richness and complexity not often found.
- NV – Rosé Brut, Edouard Brun, Champagne, France
Delicate and elegant Pinot Noir Rosé, strawberry and raspberry scented with a crisp biscuity finish.
- NV – Brut Premier, Champagne Louis Roederer, Champagne, France
The embodiment of Louis Roederer style; structured and elegantly mature wine with a lively character and a smooth palate.
- Half bottle